Re: [linux-audio-user] More Homemade Music --

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 11:02:38 EEST

On Sun, 03 Jul, 2005 at 10:49AM +0100, tim hall spake thus:
> Last Saturday 02 July 2005 16:41, Thorsten Wilms was like:
> > Personaly, I don't see the choice of patches/sounds as part of
> > the production ... or rather it's inbetween composition/generation
> > and production.
>
> I believe it's called 'arrangement'.

I've never been able to work like that. I know that's the way it
should be done, with steps and definable phases, but I just have to do
everything at once.

I can't just drop something in and then work on it later - everything
about the drums, say, has to be done as I'm doing it. So, that
includes selecting drums, getting them into the rhythm I want,
compressing them, getting any effects I want on them all or individual
drums and eq'ing it all. Often I do this at the same time I do the
bass, with all of the twiddling needed there, too.

It might just be because I have a bad memory - I'd forget what the
hell I wanted to do with things if I left it for later. That, and I
can't separate making music and producing music. To me, "over
produced" is like saying "over musical". Which is nonsense.

Anyway. I loved the track, but the sounds grate a little.

Just a thought though - how old are you (Steve)?

It could be a generational thing - I'm 26 and I've listened to
overproduced music all my life. Most of the kind of music I listen to
seems to have over production built in from the outset. Although I
wouldn't call it over production - I'd just say it's making what would
traditionally be called production into just another musical device.

I was going to say that this is just my 2p, but looking back, I'd say
it's more of a 14p email.

James

http://dis-dot-dat.net/

> cheers,