Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: "Music" made with Linux!

From: anahata <anahata@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 19:03:49 EEST

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 05:16:13PM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
> Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > I would like to see less Linux used as a simple recorder
> > and more Linux used as a virtual studio, every gear being
> > a software.
>
> There is just nothing more flexible and intuitive then the "interface"
> of a real world instrument. Synthesized sounds are nice, but putting
> all the variations
> in dynamics and other aspects of the sound together is a pain IMO.

I hope Juhana wasn't trying to tell anyone what tools they should use to
make music, any more than we should be told what type of music we should
be making. I assume he meant he'd like to see more examples of people
who choose to use synthesisers, sequencers etc. doing so with FOSS
tools instead of That Other Platform.

My musical bag is traditional folk with all sorts of squeezeboxes and
cello and my singing partner. No way we're gonna be relaced by a
machine, but if there was a good way to use Linux as a "simple recorder"
for our music that's what we'd be using it for!

--
Anahata
anahata@email-addr-hidden -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk