Re: [linux-audio-user] yet more music

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 20:39:26 EEST

On Sat, 09 Jul, 2005 at 01:45PM -0400, Dave Phillips spake thus:
> james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 09 Jul, 2005 at 11:07AM -0400, Dave Phillips spake thus:
> >

> >>Someone else mentioned that the guitar sounds too clean. I'd say its
> >>problem is its lack of expressive technique, it's a major problem for
> >>any sequenced guitar tracks. The guitar is normally played in such a way
> >>that most notes receive some sort of expression from the player, usually
> >>a finger vibrato or some other slight pitch variation (bends,
> >>glissandi). These articulations aren't impossible to program, but they
> >>do take time and detailed effort to make the part sound realistic. Of
> >>course, if you're not going for realism there's no problem. :)
> >>

> >I have a track called creamcheese
> >(http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/creamcheese.ogg) in which I
> >tried this. I like the sound, but it was fiddly. Have a listen, it's
> >towards the end, when the guitar starts to bend (try 3m30s).
> >
> Yes, I've listened to this piece already. Sweetly done, and I say again
> that your mixing is very nicely done.

Ta.

> The guitar sounds more natural up to the point of the bends. To my ears
> the pitch bends result in a sound more akin to the pedal steel than to
> the regular 6-string electric. It's a little too smooth to sound like a
> fretted instrument or even a slide guitar. Perhaps the p-bend resolution
> should be coarser ? Just a thought...

I don't intend to go back to improve the authenticity of that track,
but it's something worth keeping in mind.

> Like I said, really convincing results are tough to achieve for
> instruments like the guitar or an alto sax. Each note gets some kind of
> micro-expression, it's the despair of those of us who occasionally aim
> towards the realistic effect.

I tend to steer clear of wind instruments - they just nerver sound
right unless they are real.

> [re: Blatter book]
>
> >Just checking amazon - do you mean A. Blatter?
> >
> That's the one. Sorry, I'm not at my place, didn't check the author on
> the 'zon.

Ouch - 37 GBP on amazon. Although, when the site comes back up I
think I've found a copy for a tenner somewhere else.

> So, more music, si vous il plait. :-)

I think I'm all creative'd out at the moment. I tend to work in fits
and starts, with large spaces of barren imagination.

James

> Best,
>
> dp

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)