Re: [linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 23:38:15 EEST

davidrclark@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Brad mentioned VST Plugins in an earlier post. I've had no luck at all
> with any of the Linux methods.

have you posted any of the problems you had with using these methods?
your only chance of happiness in this area is to get jack_fst or
dssi-vst happening.

  I have had perfect success with a
> "free" version of Muzsys that Computer Music Magazine had on one of their
> CD's: CompMuzsys. This works flawlessly under WINE. It is an "entry
> level" piece of software, but does have fairly good mixing. It has
> lots of latency and only primitive MIDI editing. But if I'm in Linux
> and want to do something quickly without rebooting, this is the way
> I go. CompMuzsys is the only Windows audio program that I have seen
> that works under Linux just like it does under Windows. I have dozens
> of VST and VSTi Plugins, and every single one of them works.

yeah, muzys works well, but rosegarden/muse work better.

> This shows that IT IS POSSIBLE. I find it amusing that to run VST or
> VSTi plugins, I had to install a piece of Windows software.

well, most VST plugins *are* windows software.

  It makes me
> wonder if the future of music production using GNU/Linux is to run (entry
> level) Windows audio software under WINE.

definitely not ... you're gonna be in for a lot of frustration if you
take this approach. it is the approach i took when first using linux
audio - the first step for a windows convert is always to try getting
every program they used on windows to work on linux. bit of advice -
stop this quest now, and get hip with linux audio apps.

shayne