Re: [linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 23:46:07 EEST

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 16:10 -0400, davidrclark@email-addr-hidden wrote:

>This shows that IT IS POSSIBLE. I find it amusing that to run VST or
>VSTi plugins, I had to install a piece of Windows software. It makes
>me wonder if the future of music production using GNU/Linux is to run
>(entry level) Windows audio software under WINE.

i find it amusing that people think hard, difficult work like running
shared libraries from *another operating system* should somehow just
happen.

once torben and i find the time to get the new version of FST out to ALL
YOU PEOPLE, i'm sure you'll find it amusing also. meanwhile, DSSI-VST
offers a nice method for people without heavy-duty scaling requirements.
meanwhile, we both have other things to work on. i'm not even sure how
much torben wants to work on FST at this point, to be honest.

there are (at least) two companies that have tried to make a business
from running VST's on linux, in both cases spendings hundreds of
thousands of dollars on development costs. why do you find it amusing
that there was no instant-ready-to-work-as-soon-as-apt/yum-was-done
equivalent of their hard work?

--p