[linux-audio-user] Re: VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 18:51:04 EEST

Johannes Mario Ringheim:

> What about using this box:
> http://www.museresearch.com/
>
> Don't think I've seen it mentioned here, it's a box wich runs Windows
> VSTs. You can also control its VSTs from a computer, by using a "UniWire
> plugin", wich AFAIK is itself a VST on the computer.
>
> If one could run the UniWire instrument on GNU/Linux, as a LADSPA plugin
> or even as a VST, wouldn't that make it possible to pretty much run all
> the VSTs the Receptor can offer?

Ehem, As a matter of fact, it has been mentioned a lot here. Last time
by Paul Davies in this thread! ;-)

This is one of the two hardware boxes that run vst-plugins using linux.
The other one is called plugzilla (or plugzila, dont know the spelling).
They both use wine.

I'm not sure, but I doubt you can run that many more plugins using one
of these boxes than using vstserver, dssi-vst or jack-fst, because
all the systems depend on wine. So instead of buying one of these boxes,
you could just set up an additional linux-box, it should do the same
thing, but using your own linux-setup you get full control of whats
happening, and you probably get more cpu-power as well.