Re: [linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 04:59:40 EEST

davidrclark@email-addr-hidden wrote:

>Brad mentioned VST Plugins in an earlier post. I've had no luck at all
>with any of the Linux methods. I have had perfect success with a
>"free" version of Muzsys that Computer Music Magazine had on one of their
>CD's: CompMuzsys. This works flawlessly under WINE. It is an "entry
>level" piece of software, but does have fairly good mixing. It has
>lots of latency and only primitive MIDI editing. But if I'm in Linux
>and want to do something quickly without rebooting, this is the way
>I go. CompMuzsys is the only Windows audio program that I have seen
>that works under Linux just like it does under Windows. I have dozens
>of VST and VSTi Plugins, and every single one of them works.
>
>This shows that IT IS POSSIBLE. I find it amusing that to run VST or
>VSTi plugins, I had to install a piece of Windows software. It makes me
>wonder if the future of music production using GNU/Linux is to run (entry
>level) Windows audio software under WINE.

I look at it this way;

Thats we get Vst's in any shape or form working on Linux is creme on the
cake! It's easy to confuse the progress of Linux audio with misplaced
desire as to what we would like to have available...and only because we
are ~familiar~ with the other standards we have been using for years.

I like Ford, Dodge and Chevy...(Well, I dont really like Dodge :) ) But
I can not easily, nor do I have solid reason, to swap the engine from a
Mustang to a Camero! Both are cars...both perform well...they even have
*some* interchangeable parts. I'm not sure that the Linux audio vs
Windows / Mac is much different other than Linux audio is but a babe /
infant by comparison.

As Dave Philips points to his vst too page, there are a good many
resources available to get you going. It can be a pain! These folks
(Dave in particular) helped me get vst's going and I now have a limited
and reliable set of Vst's I use for various things. But the LADSPA stuff
is GOOD~~ No, not all the eye candy...So the paint job is a little
*plain* :) The ~donk~ & tranny kick a$$!! :)

R~