Re: [linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

From: Emanuel Rumpf <x@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 21:05:39 EEST

I don't like these "win vs linux apps" talks.
Users should be able to use the software that does the appropriate work.
(no matter which os)
(how idealistic..)
(...and I will always prefer FOSS)

Wine is very usefull. Running windows apps on linux is very usefull.
For example: I sometimes *need* to use photoshop though I do most stuff
with the gimp now.
If ps were not running on linux, it would require me to still use
windows. (Thank you wine devs)

I would like to tell asking musicans:
"As long, as there's no similar linux native app, just use "Ableton
Live" (or whatever) with wine.."

Since (many) VSTis *are running* with wine, why not use them
(- as long as they do what you need and there's no such dssi/ladspa atm.)

There are 3 (or more) vst-solutions, but no one is matter, easy to
install or usable with the current wine-version (?)
Hope that changes soon.
The only thing that worked for me was the dssi-vst. Only drawbacks: (no
simple install (apt)) and: there was only one midi-channel connectable,
(wich was the reason that it was not realy usefull, for what I wanted to do)

Regards,
Emanuel
...and please excuse my propably faulty speach/writing