Re: [linux-audio-user] Specifying the license when posting music?

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 18:15:56 EEST

tim hall wrote:

>On Sunday 07 August 2005 10:02, David Collins wrote:
>

>>P.S. Maybe there's a specific policy already that I'm
>>not aware of?
>>

>Until we make a decision not to accept non-CC submissions to the list you
>should assume that a piece is copyright the author and all rights reserved
>unless explicitly licensed otherwise.

I would change to: "... unless explicitly licensed and stated otherwise."

This is fair, unambiguous and similar in concept to the US copyright -
you write a tune, you automatically own the copyright, you're not
required to file for ownership. I think it should always be the case.

(i guess we could also talk about the mechanical and publishing rights
as well. But, it seems that it would follow the same policy.)

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124