Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Frustrated bigtime

From: Noah Roberts <roberts.noah@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 03:19:49 EEST

> So, I'll try this upgrade, which includes a lot of setting changes to
> more appropriate values, and then I'll get back with success/failure
> rate. Thanks for the ideas.

Well, I upgrated to 13-rc6 and tried the patch. The patch ruins the
kernel source...it won't compile on this architecture (amd64) with it
applied. However, it seems to be included to some degree already.
There are only 3 preempt modes and I chose the best...the one I wanted
to try first anyway. I also fixed the IDE driver issues.

I haven't even messed with any of the interupts. It is working...for
now at least. I even started mozilla in the middle of a playback to
test and I didn't get an xrun. I did get 2 while typing this and they
were not small ones.

I am also wondering if it might be some acpi setting I could change
that would help a lot. For instance:

localhost CPU1 # cat power
active state: C2
max_cstate: C8
bus master activity: 000021eb
states:
    C1: type[C1] promotion[C2] demotion[--]
latency[000] usage[00000010]
   *C2: type[C2] promotion[C3] demotion[C1]
latency[090] usage[30301282]
    C3: type[C3] promotion[--] demotion[C2]
latency[900] usage[00014940]

Maybe switching to C1 could help? I'm assuming latency should be smaller...

I also can't seem to find out which interrupt my soundcard is on. I
don't see it in the list:

localhost proc # cat interrupts
           CPU0
  0: 318085 IO-APIC-edge timer
  1: 3765 IO-APIC-edge i8042
  8: 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
  9: 1694 IO-APIC-level acpi
 12: 1170 IO-APIC-edge i8042
 14: 6163 IO-APIC-edge ide0
 15: 12 IO-APIC-edge ide1
177: 29479 IO-APIC-level SiS SI7012
185: 519 IO-APIC-level eth0
193: 15025 IO-APIC-level ohci_hcd:usb1
201: 0 IO-APIC-level ohci_hcd:usb2
209: 0 IO-APIC-level ohci_hcd:usb3
217: 54 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd:usb4
NMI: 1088
LOC: 318053
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

And what is the proc file interface for the preempt patch?