Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI test

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 11:41:59 EEST

On Monday 22 August 2005 02:26, Kevin Sookocheff wrote:
>    I installed Agnula this weekend and really like how everything is
> working so far.  I have a little problem though.  I have a MIDI
> keyboard connected to my computer (unfortunately I only have onboard
> sound right now) that I've used before under windows.  I'm sure it will
> work; what I'm looking for is a simple test to see if it is working or
> not.  I fooled around with some of the MIDI programs but with some of
> them it's to tell if I'm just not using it properly or if there is no
> MIDI device

aadebug will provide most of the necessary information. It's a bit verbose,
but many of us are used to reading this format and may be able to quickly
diagnose your problem from the output.

A simple test would be to launch qjackctl and look at the connect panel's MIDI
tab - if you don't see anything there, then MIDI isn't working. You should
already have:
snd-seq-midi
as the first entry in /etc/modules (?). In the past I've had to add:
snd-mpu401-uart
to that list in order to get it working. Check what your soundcard uses.

--
cheers,
tim hall