[linux-audio-user] 44.1, 48 or 96?

From: Joseph Dell'Orfano <fullgo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 01:54:47 EEST

Hello all,

I am looking for some engineering know-how and advice. Should I track at
44.1 kHz, 48 kHz or 96 kHz?

I record vocals and acoustic guitar for the most part. I have been
routinely recording at 24 bits, 96 kHz simply because I can and I assume
that this gets me the highest fidelity from my recordings (tracking
through AKG Solidtube or a pair of Oktava condensers and a Pendulum
Audio SPS-1 preamp to Delta 1010LT into Jack/Ardour). After a discussion
with a friend, Iīm not so sure anymore. He is recording his album at
44.1 kHz, arguing that this will avoid downsampling when finally
pressing a CD. So, are there any opinions about this?

There is a very practical issue here. I am contemplating the addition of
an outboard digital effects processor to take some load off my CPU. Most
units (less than $1000) with s/pdif are 44.1 and 48 kHz, so they would
not work (I donīt think) with digital audio recorded at 96 kHz.

Thanks for all the help you've given me in the past. I hope I am not
coming to the well too many times!!

-Joe Dell'Orfano

--
Joseph Dell'Orfano <fullgo@email-addr-hidden>