Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 stable?

From: Noah Roberts <roberts.noah@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 06:13:17 EEST

On 9/17/05, Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking of buying a new notebook.
>
> While my hw-dealer tries to sell me a intel-based one, I figured I can
> get more CPU-Speed, double ram and 64 instead of 32bits if I take an
> amd64-based notebook (we are talking about the current series from
> asus).

I own one: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Asus_A6U

There are newer models of course but they are along the same thing.
2Ghz Turion ML-37, 1G RAM (upgraded), 1M cache...quite fast.

I was an early adopter. I have a desktop that is getting kind of
older but still damn fast compared to other PC's currently on the
market. Lots has gotten a lot better since then. Most Linux stuff
works fine on 64.

> So my question is: Has anyone of you made positive or negative
> experience with amd64? Are there (audio-)apps that don't work on 64?

Mostly positive. Only app I can't seem to get working right is
qsynth. Finally managed to get static without a crash...so things are
looking up ;)

You can also always go 32 bit. The 64 works just like a later model
AMD in 32 bit mode. Considerably less expensive than any halfway
decent Intel...and most Intel laptops seem to be REALLY slow for what
is in them. Not so with this thing...