[linux-audio-user] RME Hammerfall 9636 - troubleshooting

From: Michael T D Nelson <m_nels@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 23:26:09 EEST

Hi all,

I have a fully up-to-date PlanetCCRMA FC3 machine - 700Mhz P3 with about
640MB of RAM.

I bought a cheap second-hand RME Hammerfall 9636 recently, in the
knowledge that it was untested.

I've plugged the card in, and run alsaconf. I can start jack with
qjackctl, and connect my audio applications to all of the cards inputs
and outputs, and so on.

I have a Behringer ADA8000 connected to the first lightpipe output.

However, I'm having difficulties getting a clean output - whichever
software I use...

For example, when I play audio, and route it to output 1, all I can hear
is some approximation of white noise, until the volume gets to somewhere
near maximum - when I can hear a very distorted version of the original
sound.

Does this help at all?

I'm *hoping* that I've just done something wrong, and that the card
isn't fried. ALSA detected the card fine though, for what it's worth.

Regards,
Michael