Re: [linux-audio-user] CLI vs. GUI and other Linux sound issues, was FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT

From: I. I. Ooisen <ii001001@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 06:04:14 EET

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 21:44, Brett McCoy wrote:
> I. I. Ooisen wrote:
> >>No, it's a very powerful way of working with a computer.
> >
> > i must emphasize it, and i will:
> >
> > "command line", THE WAY WE SEE IT NOW, is a primitive way to put a
> > computer to work.
>
> I think your use of the word "primitive" is incorrect. Using commands
> to interact with a computer is no more primitive than reading words
> in a book to receive information (as opposed to receiving information
> purely visually, as with a movie or TV). Both have their place
> (syntactical interaction versus graphical interaction), I don't think
> one is better or worse than the other.

you are saying just what i was saying, but, for some plausible reasons,
you feel like you disagree to what i am saying. i guess i didn't make
myself clear enough, so i will try again.

i think gui is even more primitive than command line, since it reverts
us to the animal state... (all those yes/no switches actually remind me
of the times when people couldn't sign their name and had to "use their
finger".)

so i obviously was not comparing command line to gui! i was comparing
command line of today to command line of tomorrow. by this, i was
trying to explain why so many people fear command line. i love command
line, it's just that it is still in its infancy.

hopefully i made myself clear this time :)