Re: [linux-audio-user] Next question re midi

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 20:03:26 EET

On Friday 13 January 2006 18:29, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >Do you know if there is a front end to TiMidity? The Sourceforge page for
> > it shows a GUI, and there is also a link on that page to a Japanese site,
> > from which I got a shell script for a GUI, but was not able to run it.
> > Perhaps my own lack of knowledge, but will have another look at it. Any
> > other suggestions for a GUI would be welcome. I did try installing from
> > the tarball, but there are so many ./configure options for audio, and
> > GUI's that I got quite lost. If you have a set of options that you know
> > work with ./configure for FC2,3 I'd be very gratefull.
>
> 'man timidity' is your friend. See the -i option.
>
> On Marv's system TiMidity has been compiled to support only the GTK and
> Xaw graphic interfaces. However, both of those GUIs include the
> transport controls that Marv asked about.
>
> So for Marv's PlanetC RH9 :
>
> timidity -ig foo.mid
>
> or
>
> timidity -ia foo.mid
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Hi Dave. I had tried those options before on FC2, but trying them again, all I
get back is. "Interface 'g' or 'a' is not compiled in. Weird. This is
timidity++-2.11.3-9, installed via apt-get from planetccrma. I know
TiMidity++-2.13 is now available, but cannot understand why GUI's havn't been
compiled in. I will have another go at the tarball install. What I'm really
looking for is a way of configuring TiMidity, so that I can then set up a
desktop link to application, which will bring up a GUI similar to what I had
with Kmidi, and can then load a midi file, and play it. Please don't get me
wrong. I'm not afraid of the CLI. Running tools like oggenc, oggdec, etc, is
no problem to me. It's just that playing music files, whether they
are .ogg, .wav, .mid, or whatever, is just a bit more user friendly with a
GUI than the CLI. I'm not giving up on this, as TiMidity is a really good
synth, and you're not tied down to having to have a sound card that is
capable of using soundfonts.. Thanks for the reply. Nigel.