Re: [linux-audio-user] virmidi and 2.6.14 (Demudi)

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 14:19:23 EET

Clemens Ladisch wrote:

>What are you actually trying to do?
>>From where to where to you want MIDI messages to be routed?

Dosemu has two methods for MIDI I/O. One is to use the midid daemon, but
I've had latency issues with it so I prefer the second method, which is
to create a link between ~/.dosemu/run/dosemu-midi and /dev/snd/CxDx.
Yes, I could route it to /dev/midi directly on my desktop machine
because it has a hardware MIDI port, but my laptop has no MIDI hardware.
Thus, if I want to run dosemu MIDI apps on the laptop I need the virmidi
module. The situation is nearly identical with Xsteem, I need the
virmidi module for running Xsteem on my laptop.

As I said before, if these applications abided by ALSA standards I might
be able to designate MIDI ports with the hw:x,x syntax. Alas, they
don't, and I can't.

Best,

dp