Re: [linux-audio-user] Installing Demudi packages on Debian

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 04 2006 - 20:53:51 EET

On 2/4/06, Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> It's occured to me that installing the kernel from Demudi stable on
> Debian might be a nice easy way to get all my kernel tweaks without even
> needing to recompile. And thanks to the way the kernel and the userland
> in Linux are so relatively version independant of one another (something
> not so true on other UNIX flavors), that should be quite safe, too.
>
> It made me wonder though -- since Demudi is built from Debian, what
> would be the issues with inporting lots of other packages useful to
> musicians as well, while still keeping the system essentially Debian?
>
> Do a lot ("a lot" meaning a destabilizing amount) of non-music-related
> packages from Debian get superceded by Demudi versions when you add the
> Demudi Apt repositories to the sources.list of a sarge machine? Are any
> of you currently doing something like that? Just wondering... I'm sure
> that even as there have been many MIDI and recording apps in sarge that
> surely would not have gotten there without Demudi, there are probably
> still others that either never made it or have newer versions in Demudi
> than what sarge gives you.
>
> I just don't want to make my system unmaintainable by mixing
> distributions like that on a really massive scale though... Once you
> get newer versions of really critical things, it can be almost like
> committing yourself to running sid/unstable -- no easy way back.
>
> --
> + Brent A. Busby, UNIX Systems Admin + "It's like being +
> + James Franck / Enrico Fermi Institute + blindsided by a +
> + The University of Chicago + flying dwarf..." +

Well, that's one of the things I don't like too. I hate using 3rd
party repositories for the same reason as you. But anyhow, just
thought I'd let you know that I took the kernel from DeMuDi (unstable,
but probably would work with stable too) and installed it on Ubuntu
and it booted fine for me. I only did it to test though, and I didn't
use it for long before uninstalling. But it should work for you on
Debian, if all you want is the kernel.

Dana