Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: LinuxMAO.org, a french Linux Audio Wiki

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 04:57:05 EET

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:44:57 -0500
"Dan Easley" <daneasley@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> certainly america has a culture; it's not one i'm particularly fond
> of, but it's also so diversified that i must claim ownership and
> alliance with bits of it, and lifelong enmity towards other parts.
> still, judging its value as a whole or in part is so difficult as to
> be misleading. let's say robert wyatt is my janet jackson - it would
> be as rude of me to force others to listen to wyatt as it is of others
> to make me listen to janet.

Glad to hear that you have TV and radio music shows that plays more
than the same run-of-the-mill payola without falling into the 'classic
rock' trap. I understand then that you do not feel that a certain
choice of music is imposed on you.

But up here in the northern part of America there's none, even if you
pay $100 per month for cable TV. I do not say that the four basic musc
TV channels in Germany are a lot better, but at least when zapping you
may hear interesting stuff from time to time (like Rammstein's
'Amerika' ;-) while up here it's 100% not interesting.

> certainly i read this list and work with linux audio tools while my
> roommates watch people shoot at each other on the tv. i don't think
> i'm any better than those guys - in fact, i wish i were as easily
> amused.

Strange goal to attain... Especially since there are so many shootings
in schools in the USA (I didn't say there are none elsewhere, I've just
underlined the quantity).

> i must take the canonized developer's attitude on this. don't like
> our culture? submit a bug report, or learn to code a patch.

Yes, a cabbage patch ;-)

> yours in america, proud land of harry partch and kurt vonnegut,

Vonnegut recently at a US campus (audience filled at 2,000 capacity) had
quite a few strong words against the US government. Many intellectuals
in the USA do. Take Lewis Lapham, editor of Harper's Magazine
(founded in 1850 something) who was doing a talk at Ottawa University
recently. There's a good number of these fine people in the USA, but
they are outweighted significantly and that's the second point I earlier
mentioned: interest. General interest. When it lies in bing-bang
shootings on the tube, what do you expect ? A strong democratic country
with 4 or 5 strong political parties none of them having the same
financial support background ? I don't think so, and that's the same
everywhere in the world. The mass of people matters, not only
individuals that you see once in a while, because it's after all the
mass that makes the country.

I think the mood is set for some 'Music for the Masses' ;-)

Cheers.