Re: [linux-audio-user] agnula/demudi unable to acces the internet.

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 16:23:43 EET

tim hall wrote:

> Bal, the questions you are asking go beyond the specific expertise of
> certainly me, and to an extent this list. I'm not saying don't ask,
> just that you sound like you need some intensive hand-holding in order
> to get started, first you need to train yourself up to ask questions
> in a way that will get you the answers you need. The problems you are
> facing are really similar to what I had to do when I first started
> using Linux, many of them, once you've figured them out, you will
> probably thankfully forget. I'm like this with PPP - Nowadays I will
> do anything I have to, including buying a different modem, to avoid
> having to configure PPP. However, the fact that your other three
> installs work out of the box, makes me think that a normal network
> connection should work - I don't know how to check for these things
> properly - If a window opens up in gkrellm, I assume its working. ;]
> [snip]

Hi Tim, hi Bal:

  Alas, Bal's experience only echoes what I've gone through so many
times. I don't know why network connectivity has rarely been transparent
for me, but there you have it. I use a shell script to launch my net
connection under RH9 on my desktop machine because it won't
automatically connect. A simple '/etc/init.d/network start' does the
trick; however, on my laptop, with the same version of RH9 and connected
to the same router, everything autoconnects just fine (except that
sometimes the system simply doesn't see my network hardware, a PCMCIA
interface).

  My desktop machine has a Tulip ethernet interface connected to a
cable modem. The modem heads to a Linksys router. I believe that
perhaps the Tulip interface and/or hardware is the real culprit here,
and neither Debian nor RH9 handle it well. To reiterate, the only way I
can connect with my Demudi system is to use pump to knock eth0 out of
the ifconfig report, then start the net connection with 'ifup eth0'. It
works fine then, but if I close the connection with ifdown and leave it
closed for a long while (say 8 hours or longer) I have to reboot the
machine so the system finds the interface again. So, is this Debian's
problem, a kernel driver problem, an Ethernet interface problem, or a
router problem ? I don't know and I don't care to spend the time finding
out.

  Bal, I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Tim's advice is good, you
should definitely join the Demudi mail-list (if you haven't already) and
ask there too (if you haven't already). But keep at it: If you've had
this hardware working for you under another Linux system, you'll get it
working under Demudi.

  Btw, I'm running Demudi 1.3 here.

Best,

dp