Re: [linux-audio-user] Resume

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 21:43:39 EET

Renato Fabbri <renatoftato@email-addr-hidden>:

> -what is ardour oposed to cubase? can it do everything
> as well?

Two obvious differences: Cultural background and Ardour's lack
of MIDI tracks.

The latter is asked for by many, it's lack raising eyebrows on
a regular basis. Personally I couldn't care less. You can
sync a MIDI sequencer to Ardour/JACK.

The former is underrated, neglected even, I think.

Your question "Can it do everything as well" is serious bait I
cannot resist :) Cubase actually did some things well when I
last laid hands on it (SX), like editing stuff being close to
fool-proof (me being the fool), unified and very accessible,
good gui. Some things appeared to be outright ridiculous
though, like limited bus/track counts.

The Ardour/JACK infrastructure could be called "bare-bone
routing monster" and works very well and reliable. There are
issues, some deep, but none that seem to prevent people from
recording albums with it.

> -I´ve heard about linux/jack/alsa not working well
> above 48KHz. Seems waaky to me, but..? and 24 bit?

You've heard wrong. Certain audio interfaces might have
problematic alsa drivers, true. I believe some of those
driver issues would turn out to be vendor issues really.

> -Linux and Vst do well?

It's very usable but it's a hack and it resembles much an
arranged marriage: Practical maybe and definitely not happy
(License issues preventing the distribution of vst enabled
binaries, gui issues etc.). Torben Hohn's xfst says it all on
stdout: "lost focus, got the focus, wtf, quit"

--
Wolfgang