[linux-audio-user] Resume

From: Renato Fabbri <renatoftato@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 10:56:20 EET

ve been using linux and learning about its
possibilities as a DAW. I intend using it as my
plataform for live performances and migrate to it for
composing too, and it is more and more certain that I
will, but, for that, it is important to compare it a
little with other plataforms... and.. im freaking
out, man!!!! too much stuff!! please help!! Distro
running, apps running, tests going, thats not the
prob, just need some comparinsons (i am sorry to send
some silly quests, i promess myself that ill build a
basic guide for musician linux newbies):

-what is ardour oposed to cubase? can it do everything
as well?

-what is snd oposed to sound forge(please v8)? can it
do everything as well? more?

-Ive heard about linux/jack/alsa not working well
above 48KHz. Seems waaky to me, but..? and 24 bit?

-Linux and Vst do well?

-Can I get some midi out of ardour, process it in PD
and send it to a softsynth through jack connections in
real time?

-Can I get 4 audio input channels, process in PD, send
just one or two to process with LADSPA plugs and send
them out?

-What are the favorite softsynths? I just ran
addsubsyn, very good. Any other good ones?

thanx, alot
ref