[linux-audio-user] Resume

From: Renato Fabbri <renatoftato@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 10:56:20 EET

´ve been using linux and learning about its
possibilities as a DAW. I intend using it as my
plataform for live performances and migrate to it for
composing too, and it is more and more certain that I
will, but, for that, it is important to compare it a
little with other plataforms... and.. i´m freaking
out, man!!!! too much stuff!! please help!! Distro
running, apps running, tests going, thats not the
prob, just need some comparinsons (i am sorry to send
some silly quests, i promess myself that i´ll build a
basic guide for musician linux newbies):

-what is ardour oposed to cubase? can it do everything
as well?

-what is snd oposed to sound forge(please v8)? can it
do everything as well? more?

-I´ve heard about linux/jack/alsa not working well
above 48KHz. Seems waaky to me, but..? and 24 bit?

-Linux and Vst do well?

-Can I get some midi out of ardour, process it in PD
and send it to a softsynth through jack connections in
real time?

-Can I get 4 audio input channels, process in PD, send
just one or two to process with LADSPA plugs and send
them out?

-What are the favorite softsynths? I just ran
addsubsyn, very good. Any other good ones?

thanx, alot
ref