Re: [linux-audio-user] Mac? Linux PC?

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 02:18:08 EET

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 23:58 +0000, cdr wrote:
> why not? i usd to talk shit aobut OSX, mainly because it was slow on
> my G3. but they were the first with an on-GPU GUI, which was 90% of
> the resource usage. linux will maybe have this ironed out by about
> 2008, but of course there will praobly be forks/camps around DE lines,
> proprietary-driver-support biases etc.

I think it will be much sooner - I predict a mainstream distro will ship
a 3D accelerated desktop by the end of 2006. I definitely expect Linux
to beat Microsoft on this.

Ever since the XFree86 -> Xorg transition X development has drastically
accelerated, after years of glacially slow development.

Lee