Re: [linux-audio-user] Mac? Linux PC?

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 05:20:53 EET

On Sunday 12 March 2006 19:18, Lee Revell wrote:
>On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 23:58 +0000, cdr wrote:
>> why not? i usd to talk shit aobut OSX, mainly because it was slow on
>> my G3. but they were the first with an on-GPU GUI, which was 90% of
>> the resource usage. linux will maybe have this ironed out by about
>> 2008, but of course there will praobly be forks/camps around DE
>> lines, proprietary-driver-support biases etc.
>
>I think it will be much sooner - I predict a mainstream distro will
> ship a 3D accelerated desktop by the end of 2006. I definitely
> expect Linux to beat Microsoft on this.
>
>Ever since the XFree86 -> Xorg transition X development has
> drastically accelerated, after years of glacially slow development.
>
>Lee

Yes, and Novel just donated to the X.org project, the latest version of
their whiz bang super accelerated x accelerator eye candy. They have a
site up with a capture of the stuff they did at a show in Germany a
couple of weeks ago, and let me tell you it was damned impressive even
when played back by an mplayer pluggin. I should have bookmarked the
site, but hindsite seems to be the better working sight for me today.:(

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: