Re: [linux-audio-user] Doing Drums

From: Aaron Trumm <aaron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 02:22:00 EEST

I use hydrogen a lot. I don't bother to sync to ardour unless i just
want to for fun while I compose. to get the seperate tracks, say for
kick, snare, hats, I use hydrogen's export feature. If I only want the
kick, I solo the kick in hydrogen's mixer and then export song. this
will export only the kick. and so on.

then I go to ardour and import the resultant wave files. I set up
ardour to use the same bpm and I use snap to beats and then editing the
drum parts or placing them wherever I want in ardour is extremely tight.

the way i used to do this is I was using cakewalk for dos and i was
really used to the "interpolate" feature - but basically, if I had a
track that had kick/snare/hats all on one midi track, I'd go back and
copy just the kick notes to another track, and so on - then I can
either:

1) have each of those tracks going to a different midi channel (and
hence a different synth, or soft synth instance, and hence to a
different audio channel
or

2) simply solo each track for recording into the multitrack.

also you can use the hydrogen method and then instead of exporting
waves, export midi files of just kick, snare, etc. (I THINK it will work
that way - export song will just export what's not muted - i haven't
tried that with midi export now that i think about it)

also, you could use a SF2 softsynth to playback samples through jack
into a recorder, grab the wave file sample, and use that in hydrogen...

uh...what else can i think of?...

hope this helps :)

--------
Aaron Trumm