Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: OT: need a mixer

From: Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 19:23:23 EEST

On 5/16/06, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 5/16/06, Carlo Capocasa <capocasa@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I consider mixers obsolete in the studio.
> >
> > I recommend you simply hook up your sound interface's outputs to active
> > studio monitors and control which tracks are to be recorded and played
> > with ardour's per-track 'mute' and 'rec' buttons.
>
> That's exactly what I've been getting hung up on, but I think I might
> have found a solution: use a headphone amp. I don't have monitors (I
> have young children, and most of my work is done at night, so I have
> to keep it quiet). I think I'll just run the output into a headphone
> amp. That should work, shouldn't it?
>
> --
> Josh Lawrence
> http://www.hardbop200.com

This is exactly what I do now: I use a headphone amp connected to
outputs 1 and 2 of my Delta 66. The headphone amp has pass-through
line outputs so I also connect my hifi for when I want to use
speakers.

I like this a lot more than trying to use a small mixer for both mic
inputs and monitoring, since I'm incapable of remembering to mute the
mixer channels I'm using for monitoring while recording!

The on-board Delta mixer, when used with envy24control, works out pretty well.