Re: [linux-audio-user] Not sure of right app to relay an audio stream -- icecast?

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 02:56:03 EEST

On Sun, 21 May 2006 19:40:08 -0400
mrmoo@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> What I would like to do with a home network (of only two machines) is
> to relay mp3 audio stream from one box to another (in another room, of
> course). How would this be done, or what kind of network model best
> accomplishes this? Is it possible to have only the box with the cable
> modem (linux box runs dhclient, of course) connected to the Internet,
> and "pipe" the data stream to the other box?
> Is this what the existing mp3 streaming server apps do, (gnump3d or
> icecast) or do they only stream static mp3 files?
>
> Please point me to the relevant docs & apps-- I'm bewildered by it all.

I have used the software at slimdevices.com to set up an audio server
which can stream to one or more devices. I happen to have a Squeezebox
in my living room, and use the Softsqueeze software client to play the
same feed down in the studio. Nice for a party!

The client and server software are all open source - awfully nice of them!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh@email-addr-hidden