Re: [linux-audio-user] Getting some hardware...

From: SoNicX <sonicx_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 00:08:27 EEST

hey.
thats a lot of questions, i am not quite sure what you are planning to do.
to compare "hw" vs "sw" in this case is a bit inappropriate - as all digital
solutions use hw and some kind of sw. with a fast pc you can surely build an
audioworkstation far superior to most standalone boxes that, in most cases,
wont be able to give you as much features and tweakability as a real
workstation. id say this small boxes are just little cheap audioworkstations
with a limit range of uses. i suggest you take a look at
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
then go and buy yourself a rme hammerfall spu, and install the above mentioned
software, newest alsa and newest jack-audio-system to the rme-pc. then start
adding applications to that system as soon as it runs. use qjackctl to
control the audiosystem of that workstation on a lightweight desktop, maybe a
small gnome or even just a mwm. this will give you a basis for almost
anything possible with sound. soundcards usually have a mixerdevice on them,
and a good soundcard will have a good hw-mixer on it that will let you
controll more than just the volumes of your channels and the
midi-functionality. there apps for jack for almost every need, and some, like
ardour and even many old stuff like eca or snd.
you have to do some hours of reading on all this, but it sure is worth it.
to answer your hardware questions a bit more specific:
as i said, get a rme card which fullfills your needs, use the fastet bus
options avaible, and go for a overall low latency system. fast ram, fast
disk... and keep the installed system as small and light as possible.
if your have gotten this far you will sure have a clue how to connect a
midikeyboard to your workstation and so on.
a major plus doing this the linux way is that it is cheap, and once stable it
just rocks. hope you find something to fit your audioneeds.
mfg
 jonas beck