Re: [linux-audio-user] [Music] First track – prog rock instrumental

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 00:28:25 EEST

On 5/21/06, Q <qb@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> *gulp* Here goes...
>
> Finally everyone is happy with this. It's a prog(ish) rock instrumental
> called "Laetoli (a fragment of a track)".

Hi Q,
   Good start. I like parts of it. Others not so much. Clearly it's
worth working on further IMHO. It starts well and goes along nicely
for about the first minute. Reminded me just a tiny bit of maybe Glass
Hammer or someone like that.

   I like the picked guitar in the background running through the
early parts of the song. However, where the guitar playing seems
focused on driving the rhythm of the early parts, after the lead comes
in then the guitar seems to lose focus and the playing drifts around a
bit. It may be partly the way the bit of delay on the guitar part is
mixing in. Not sure. I think I'd really try to develop all of that a
bit more as it's an interesting part.

   I think like others I don't much care for the bass part too much
when it comes in. Melodically I don't think it does much of anything
to drive your themes forward. I like when the guitar comes in around
2:25. If I were working on the song I think I'd cut the early bass
part completely and have it come in with or slightly before the guitar
part. I'd keep it just operating as a bass and not as a lead at all,
at least until the guitar has come in and made some headway in
developing the themes.

   Anyway, I hope you don't take my comments to strongly. They are not
meant to be anything more than observations. Keep going. I'll be
interested in hearing it again as you get it more focused and
together.

Good luck,
Mark