Re: [linux-audio-user] [Music] First track – prog rock instrumental

From: Q <qb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 22 2006 - 23:56:02 EEST

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi Q,
> Good start. I like parts of it. Others not so much. Clearly it's
> worth working on further IMHO. It starts well and goes along nicely
> for about the first minute. Reminded me just a tiny bit of maybe Glass
> Hammer or someone like that.
>
> I like the picked guitar in the background running through the
> early parts of the song. However, where the guitar playing seems
> focused on driving the rhythm of the early parts, after the lead comes
> in then the guitar seems to lose focus and the playing drifts around a
> bit. It may be partly the way the bit of delay on the guitar part is
> mixing in. Not sure. I think I'd really try to develop all of that a
> bit more as it's an interesting part.
>
> I think like others I don't much care for the bass part too much
> when it comes in. Melodically I don't think it does much of anything
> to drive your themes forward. I like when the guitar comes in around
> 2:25. If I were working on the song I think I'd cut the early bass
> part completely and have it come in with or slightly before the guitar
> part. I'd keep it just operating as a bass and not as a lead at all,
> at least until the guitar has come in and made some headway in
> developing the themes.
>
> Anyway, I hope you don't take my comments to strongly. They are not
> meant to be anything more than observations. Keep going. I'll be
> interested in hearing it again as you get it more focused and
> together.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

Hi Mark

Thanks for listening and for commenting. I'll have to read your post
again in the morning – I'm too tired to get my head round it at the moment.

My initial reaction though is Eeek! – I'm a bit worried now because I
had considered it more or less finished and you suggest that it could do
with more development!

BTW, I've never heard of Glass Hammer before so I shall have to look
them up.

Cheers

PS My spell-checker thinks your name should be Anechoic rather than
Knecht :-)