Re: [linux-audio-user] [Music] First track – prog rock instrumental

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 03:16:58 EEST

On Mon, 22 May 2006 18:25:39 +0100
Q <qb@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

Hi !

> > It's OK, but for my own tastes, it revolves a bit too much around
> > the same. Though I almost heard some Mellotron in there a bit
> > after the electric guitar kicks in ;-) And of course, if there was
> > a voice somewhere in there that'd be great.

> Fair point, I suppose it is a bit monotonous – the same chord
> progression all the way through. I think I read an interview with the
> Floyd somewhere where they said they'd a bad habit of dragging one
> chord progression out for as long as they could, so maybe I've been
> listening to them too much and picked up their bad habits! I suppose
> I could drag it out to ten minutes if I really tried ;-)

My impression is that this style (i.e. repeating the same and building
on it) is hard to get accross if there's not something quite
grasping getting the listener. Could be the mood, could be the music
hooks, the tension, etc... So I find it's a hard style to do. But
some do it. PF was one. Tangerine Dream were another. Or take
Ravel's 'Bolero'. I was listening to Asturias' 'Brillant Streams'
yesterday which is also in the same vein. But it's hard to get and
move the proper mood and getting and developing the tension all along
the way when things are basically repeating, I find. But that's also
just me. I'll try it when I'll get my setup made !

Cheers,

Al