Re: [linux-audio-user] Low latency with 2.6.16.16 vanilla

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 03:01:28 EEST

On 5/24/06, Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Tuesday 23 May 2006 12:25, Aaron Krister Johnson:
> > On Wednesday 24 May 2006 8:28 am, Wolfgang Woehl wrote:
> > > Got 2.6.16.16 from kernel.org. If I understood Lee right I could expect a
> > > jackd with -p 64 -n 2 to work just fine but it doesn't. Loads of xruns.
> > > What am I missing? What can I do to find out?
> >
> > Hi Wolfgang,
> >
> > I was banging my head against the wall with the same issue, but after a
> > *long* Google search, I found that disabling acpi did the trick for me.
>
> Aaron thanks, I'll try that. You happen to know whether this is a motherboard
> issue or is kernel's acpi just not there yet? What a shame, it's such a good
> thing to save power :)
>
> --
> Wolfgang

Hi,
   I'm just echoing Lee's inputs as someone who's been down the low
latency path for a while now. I am currently using 2.6.16-gentoo-r2
with no low latency patches. It works fine on my AMD64 hardware, at
least for low work load low latency needs. I run at 64/2 on my HDSP
9652 and get no xruns doing mostly mixing and a very little recording.
However I do require realtime-lsm be enabled and loaded. Without
realtime-lsm all kernels on my machine, with or without Ingo's
patches, cause xruns.

   I have not tried the pam enabled realtime methods as there doesn't
seem to be any value spending the time to do it just yet.

Cheers,
Mark