Re: [linux-audio-user] FFT on GPU

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Tue May 30 2006 - 16:04:09 EEST

On Tue, 30 May, 2006 at 07:57AM +0200, Esben Stien spake thus:
> james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net writes:
>
> > What does everyone think?
>
> It's a hobbyist solution, in my opinion. It's not a scalable general
> solution; it's special purpose computing.

But don't we count as hobbyists? Doing special things?

> Push for more FP power in CPUs';).
>
> There's much power in the GPU, though; which sucks.

My "real" job involves graphics (surface reconstruction and such) and
I've wondered, in the past, if I could push a lot more vertex
processing onto the card. But I can't, because I use a range of
machines and it's useless if I can run something nice and smooth at
home and not at work, or the other way around.

But it's tempting.

James