Re: [linux-audio-user] Three last tracks

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 00:20:28 EEST

On 5/30/06, Yves Potin <yves_p@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi.
> Thank you again for the very nice things you said about the last
> tracks :). I'd like to submit three last ones to your listening, hoping
> for all kind of thoughts and advices, especially which could help me
> improving the sound, the mix, and also the use of Jamin. Then I hope I'll
> be ready to release this music on a web site, of course under a free
> licence, with some other tracks.
> First, a (very) personnal version of a very well known song :
> http://ypotin.nerim.net/astronomy_domine.ogg (Syd Barett) 5,7 M
> Then, an arrangement I wrote of a jazz standard :
> http://ypotin.nerim.net/lennies_pennies.ogg (Lennie Tristano) 5,4 M
> Finally, a more personnal track, a bit long, about which I'd
> be really glad to hear your comments :
> http://ypotin.nerim.net/oceaniques.ogg 11,4 M
> Thanks in advance for any kind of thoughts about all this, and my
> apologies if my English is rarely as clear as I'd liked it to be :).
> Best,
>
> Y.

Hi Yves,
   Good stuff all around. I hadn't heard this specific Floyd track in
years. Very good work on your part.

   Lennies Pennies rocked along quite nicely. Good soloing. Good
overall mix, at least for a first listen.

   Oceaniques ended up being just a bit too free form for me this
afternoon. Good stuff though. Lots of interesting sounds. I liked the
overall mix a lot. I thought a few times I'd like some of the lead
synths to have a bit more resonance in their sounds. They sometimes
sounded a bit muted or slightly nasal against the stringed
instruments. (What is the string in the middle - around 6 minutes?)

   Overall good stuff to listen to.

thanks,
Mark