Re: [linux-audio-user] Three last tracks

From: luis jure <ljc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 01:26:07 EEST

el Tue, 30 May 2006 22:15:20 +0200
yves_p@email-addr-hidden (Yves Potin) escribió:

> Then, an arrangement I wrote of a jazz standard :
> http://ypotin.nerim.net/lennies_pennies.ogg (Lennie Tristano) 5,4 M

mighty curious version indeed... to my knowledge, the only existing
recording of tristano playing "lennie's pennies" was made with his
quintet (with alumni warne marsh and lee konitz), during the famous concert
in toronto in 1952.

"lennie's pennies" itself is a not too obvious elaboration on "pennies from
heaven", that would be the real standard here. the most notable
modification in the chord progression is that tristano changed the major
mode of the original to minor. (BTW, he recorded a tune under the name
"pennies in minor" in 1955, also with konitz, but i don't have those
recordings, so i don't know if it's the same tune. i would think it is.)

well, i guess i've been pedantic enough for today, so i'd better make some
comments. one negative comment is that the synthesizer sound at the end of
the introduction before the entrance of the guitar (about second 40) sounds
a bit cheesy to my taste, but i guess it's part of the style. very good
guitar work, although i'm not to much into jazz-rock or fusion. but i
suppose it's not your intention to sound like billy bauer...

good work, thanks for sharing.