Re: [linux-audio-user] USB-Midi

From: Phillip Mills <phillip.mills1@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 01:42:34 EEST

On May 30, 2006, at 7:37 AM, karsten wiese wrote:

> Its not "out-of-the-box with XP and OS X" either,
> you have to install a vendor supplied driver, or am i missing
> something?

The vendor causes it to be out-of-the-box by providing whatever
software is needed *in the box*. What the buyer has in hand to work
with is a combination of hardware, software, and instructions that
results in useful capabilities on two of the three systems under
discussion.

I'm not complaining in any way about Linux developer efforts in
contrast to what the manufacturer supplies, but I do think it's worth
pointing out that the end-user experience can be very different. To
say generally that a USB interface will work on Linux if it works on
the other systems would be misleading to people who haven't researched
all the implicit qualifiers.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714