[linux-audio-user] fst-1.8 README revised

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 16:13:06 EEST

Greetings:

  Following the suggestion given at the end of the original document
I've revised the README for the FST-1.8 package.

  Some questions:

    1) Does the Steinberg link work for anyone ? I just get the same
page appearing over and over, no matter where I go on the site.

    2) Are there other option flags besides the -r switch ?

    3) What exactly does this mean :

       "... it interprets transport info correctly"

        Is it referring to JACK or something else ?

  My edits are just minor readability improvements. Further improvements
are also welcome.

Best,

dp

Getting Started
---------------

0) Requires LASH now :

        http://lash.nongnu.org

1) Download Steinberg's VST SDK, currently available here :

        http://www.steinberg.de/Steinberg/Developers8b99.html

   It's been known to move about in the past. Also, you must agree to Steinberg's non-free licensing terms - that's how it is, sorry.

2) Unzip the SDK into the FST directory.

3) Type 'make'. If everything works correctly this should create an executable file named fst.

4) To run your VST plugins :

        ./fst /path/to/someplugin.dll

   Set up the audio/MIDI inputs and outputs with QJackCtl's Connections window.

5) Optional: To build Ardour 0.99.x with FST support :

   Copy the SC* files from the Ardour directory into your Ardour build path, then build Ardour with these flags :

        scons VST=1 VSTPATH=/path/to/compiled/fst

Further notes
------------

According to the original README this software "... interprets transport info correctly". [JACK transport or ... ?]

If Step 4 above results in a zombified plugin try running it with the -r option :

        ./fst -r /path/to/someplugin.dll

[Any other flags or switches ?]

License
-------

FST is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. See file 'COPYING' for details.

Authors/Contributors

Torben Hohn, Paul Davis, Kjetil Matheussen, Joe Button, and some other guy (sorry, no time to find your name now, it's in the source somewhere).

This document was written originally by Torben Hohn. It was revised on 15 June 2006 by DLP.