Re: [linux-audio-user] auto-track splitting (gramofile replacement)

From: Brendon Oliver <brendon.oliver@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 14 2006 - 02:09:28 EEST

On Monday 14 August 2006 08:03, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have a number of files that were transcribed from records. One side of
> the record equals one wav file. I used to use gramofile to split them up.
> Gramofile simply searched for the quiet passages and broke up the tracks,
> based on user preferences.
>
> Gramofile is no-more and my system has advanced to the point where
> gramofile is broken and i cannot recompile it.
>
> Is there another app that does the same thing (or can do it) and is still
> active. Command line or gui makes no difference, but i have a preference
> for qt/kde, though gtk based is ok.

For mastering my old albums to CD I use audacity for the recording & cleanup,
then use gcdmaster to create the CDs. It won't auto-split into tracks, but
the gui shows a waveform of your wav file - you can then position track
markers wherever you like & burn to CD. I always found gramofile seemed to
chop tracks a little short with it's autosplitting & I could never tweak it
just the way I liked it. This way, if I want individual tracks, I just use
the CD: grip -> ogg vorbis (gotta love my iRiver!). I find doing it that way
that the tracks don't end so abruptly and fade-outs properly fade out.

Now if audacity had this ability to apply track markers & generate a TOC file
for cdrdao, I wouldn't need gcdmaster at all ;-)

Cheers,

- Brendon.

--
"Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"
   "No, but the first of you turns my stomach!"