Re: [linux-audio-user] Triggering Hydrogen patterns with keys

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 16:01:54 EEST

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 20:27 +0300, juuso.alasuutari@email-addr-hidden
wrote:
> Greetings, list. So far while playing with Hydrogen I've found out that:
>
> 1) I can set JACK transport off and program Hydrogen from a sequencer (trigger
> drum hits in the piano roll), but it's unclear to me if Hydrogen is then
> performing in realtime mode (from JACK's point of view) or not. Is it?
> This feature is nice, but I like Hydrogen's pattern editor much more than any
> sequencer's piano/drum roll.

all JACK clients run in realtime mode if JACK is using realtime mode.
JACK transport has absolutely zero to do with this.

> 2) I can leave JACK transport on, in which case Hydrogen will play its song
> score completely synced with the sequencer score. (If I start the sequencer
> from 1:01, Hydrogen will start from 1:01, and so on.)
> This is cool, but I don't want to compose two different scores to create one
> song.

welcome to the primary reason why win/mac folks love big monolithic apps
with powerful if flawed plugin APIs.

> My question is: Can I simply create patterns in Hydrogen and map those to keys,
> so that I could trigger patterns in the sequencer's piano roll? I'd love the
> ability to start and stop any pattern at any point just by pressing and
> releasing a key, and having it all in perfect JACK sync of course.

JACK sync means two different things. i suspect you mean transport sync,
and in truth that you mean more than this - tempo sync. JACK does not
currently provide any way for its clients to share a tempo (bar/beat or
meter/tempo) map.