[linux-audio-user] Re: High sample rate cards

From: Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 19:28:19 EEST

2006/8/26, BJaY <bruceslists@ntlworld.com>:
> It's a psychoacoustics exercise - trying to generate a new musical
> experience by combining 'normal' audio with ultrasonics - in a live setting.
> All the D/A cards I've looked at seem to go well into the MHz range (though
> I'm confused by the units they use 10MS/s=10Mhz ?), and cost hundereds of
> pounds.

The big S stands for samples, so 10MS/s in the scientific world means
10MHz sampling rate in the audio world. But this high-rate AD/DA-units
aren't necessarily operating with data streams. The 4GS/s digitizers
here at work only produce chunks of data and there is quite some time
needed to fetch this data over PCI into the PC. So it isn't really
usable for audio or audio-like experiments...

Arnold

--
visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/
---