Re: [linux-audio-user] A lot of progrock/artrock online

From: lanas <lanas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 03 2006 - 02:27:04 EEST

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:15:44 +0200 (CEST)
Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de> écrivait:

Hallo Julian,

  I have listened to 'Name of the Lily' and as the other one I
listened to, it's quite good in that the feeling is well crafted. It
is much Genesis-like, circa 'Nursery Crymes'. The voice is quite
good. But as with the other piece I've listened to, once everything
is placed, it'd be great to spend a bit more time to make the actual
instruments have more punch, if possible. A bit more time on the mix
could also be quite good, so that the voice (which is nice) blends a
bit more with an eventual more dynamic (in tone, not in music!)
backdrop.

  I'm very bad placed to make any statement about sound recording
since I did not even get a Linux audio workstation installed yet (I
was about to today, but then I found out that the Jacklab YaST address
returns 404 - so now I'm trying a live CD called 'MusixGNU+Linux" and
am also getting the '64 Studio' since I run a AMD dual-core. So
hopefully, I'll get a taste at making and exploring music.
Eventually.

> And it's good to know of someone else, who knows "The Flower Kings"!

  I know their music since quite some time, but had an opportunity to
drive (from Frankfurt) and see them live in Würzburg in 2004. I
filmed a good part of the concert. I also saw Isildurs Bane, both
concerts organized by the same guy, Charlie (Karl-Heinz I think), who
also sells CDs.

  I'm really looking forward at having an audio workstation. From
what I read here and what I saw on different projects pages, it seems
like there's an exiting choice of softwares and techniques, of sound
samples and recording possibilities. If only it'd be easy to install.
Not that I mind a bit of tweaking (I've built Linux From Scratch
systems) but I do find that when I want to do something, like being
creative at music using an audio workstation, I'm blatantly expecting
not that much of 'problems' to get it working. At least not 'ground
problems' like a 404 URL problem such as for SuSE Jacklab.

  What distro are you using ?

Alles gut,
Al