[linux-audio-user] Multiple sound interfaces, ALSA order detection

From: Jerome Tuncer <columbiatwo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 21:37:28 EEST

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has been dealt with before but I can't seem to find
anything about it...

I have two sound interfaces in my Debian unstable PC box: one being the
motherboard (ASUS P4P800SE) chipset's (Intel ICH5) and the other a M
Audio Delta 66.

I want to be able to use both, the internal for mp3 playback/plain music
listening and the Delta for music making (mainly Pure Data). I created
aliases for the interfaces (in /etc/asound.conf) as indicated in Alsa's
website docs:

        pcm.!default {
                 type hw
                card 0
        }

        ctl.!default {
                type hw
         card 0
        }

        pcm.ICH5 {
                type hw
                card 1
         device 0
        }

        pcm.Delta66 {
                 type hw
                card 0
                device 0
        }

The remaining problem is that everytime I reboot, the order of the hw:0
and hw:1 is sometimes swapped i.e. one day hw:0 will be the ICH5 and the
next day could be that the Delta is detected as hw:0.

What do I have to do so that one order is preserved upon
reboot/re-detection of the interfaces?

++