Re: [linux-audio-user] Multiple sound interfaces, ALSA order detection

From: <juuso.alasuutari@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 09 2006 - 00:15:59 EEST

Quoting Jerome Tuncer <columbiatwo@email-addr-hidden>:

> The remaining problem is that everytime I reboot, the order of the hw:0
> and hw:1 is sometimes swapped i.e. one day hw:0 will be the ICH5 and the
> next day could be that the Delta is detected as hw:0.
>
> What do I have to do so that one order is preserved upon
> reboot/re-detection of the interfaces?

The problem is that the drivers aren't loaded in any set order during boot. This
is not a bug, it's a feature of the Linux kernel. Luckily you can give the
drivers index numbers so that they'll assume the same order every time no
matter which one is loaded first. This will mean you'll always have fixed ALSA
device numbering, too.

Assuming you're using a 2.6 series kernel and have built the drivers as kernel
modules, add these two lines in /etc/modprobe.conf (or create that file if it
doesn't exist):

options snd-usb-audio index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=1

(Notice that snd-usb-audio and snd-hda-intel are what I use for my Terratec USB
sound card and Intel HD Audio chip, you'll need to replace them with whatever
modules you use. Also notice that when some HOWTOs instruct you to modify
modules.conf instead of modprobe.conf they're referring to systems with 2.4
series kernels.)

If you have the drivers built-in, you can still assign index numbers to them by
adding something like this to the boot command (in GRUB or LILO):

snd-usb-audio.index=0 snd-hda-intel.index=1

Again you'll need to edit that to suit your needs.

Hope this helps,
Juuso

This mail sent through L-secure: http://www.l-secure.net/