Re: [linux-audio-user] VOIP and JACK

From: Esben Stien <b0ef@email-addr-hidden-stien.name>
Date: Thu Nov 02 2006 - 14:51:08 EET

carmen <_@email-addr-hidden-your.name> writes:

> does that require OSS emulation?

For the moment; only thing that works for me without too much problems
is twinkle.

> sounds like a lot of work.

Not really, it's just compiling a firing up oss2jack, but it's not a
clean solution and it has its limitations.

> is there a good wiki entry on using oss2jack?

After I compile it and load the kfusd module, I:

#mv /dev/dsp /dev/dsp-org
#ln -s /dev/dsp5 /dev/dsp
$oss2jack -V -n 5

> twinkle doesnt work with plug:jack

I have found plug:jack to not work with anything. My setup is 96kHz
and that's the reason for a lot of it.

> something that just autoconnects

Auto connection is evil, pure evil, as in the fruits of the devil;).

> maybe a small ncurses daemon

A jacked daemon, then have your choice of client to use;).

> you can use asterisk as a softphone

Yeah, I did use that before with oss2jack. I'm happily a non asterisk
user now, cause that piece of software has got some serious vitamin b
deficiencies;). I use freeswitch at the time.

> ekiga isnt perfect, i get nothing but silence

My mother uses ekiga without problems, but that's ALSA.

> you cant run asterisk and ekiga on the same host without manualy
> overring the port 5060

Well, sure, the server should have 5060 and all clients can have
whatever.

> VOIP on linux? totall sucks . as a user..

It's a little jungle;), but much works without JACK.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@email-addr-hidden     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m