Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Software recommendation

From: Robert Jonsson <rj@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 23:33:51 EET

On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:15, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 10:00:54PM +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> > MusE relies on it's instrument definition files (IDF) to figure out what
> > controllers are available for a given instrument. If you define an IDF
> > file for your instrument, or try one of the existing files, for example
> > if your synth is GM compatible use that and the relevant controllers
> > should appear.
> >
> > The drawback with this approach is that it does not work very well with
> > instruments that can redefine their controllers, e.g. modular synths. But
> > as you have discovered MusE understands and can edit an existing
> > controller outside the IDF definition, hence it should be possible to add
> > support for arbitrary controllers.
>
> ARG! And all the time I thought it's an incomplete implemetation or
> something, and I was stuck with a choice of 2 controlers ...
> I managed to forget to report this problem though (or maybe
> I have and forgotten that :)
>
> I would expect access to all controlers if the instrument isn't specified
> at all.

No no no, we can't have that. People will start adding controllers left and
right and there's no stopping what might happen! Songs will be littered with
wild modulation effects, warbling delays, zooming distortions, it might very
well affect the growth of the ozone hole!
And...
The...
What if...
Ok, I'll try to fix it.