Re: [linux-audio-user] Software suitable for children

From: Brad Fuller <brad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 09 2006 - 21:42:26 EET

carmen wrote:
> On Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 11:21:40AM +0100, Bengt Gördén wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> One of my colleges asked me about Linux audio software suitable for children.
>> I must admit that I never thought of that. Although I have children of my
>> own. My children play with our small studio and if theres a problem I'm there
>> anyway. But my college needs software that is more geared towards ease of use
>> and in his case towards children (not that fluent in English) in the age of
>> 6-7 years. So if you have any suggestion it would be appreciated.
>
> git clone git://dev.laptop.org/projects/tamtam

Tamtam is a good one to look at and the OLPC is a good reference.
Here's the OLPC Wiki link:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tamtam

and the repo:
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/tamtam;a=tree

Along the same lines, while not Linux only and not only for audio but
entire multimedia, you should definitely look into eToys. eToys runs in
squeak, a Smalltalk-80 environment. eToys and other educational apps
have been running in squeak and used in schools for many years around
the world.

Here are some links:

Squeakland: http://www.squeakland.org/ - click on "What is Squeak" for
a good overview

eToys on the OLPC laptop: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys

Articles on eToys and education:
http://www.squeakland.org/school/HTML/essays/essays.html

Some info for teachers:
http://dev.laptop.org/git.do?p=projects/tamtam;a=tree

Very good site for French speakers (or have google translate):
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Squeak_Education
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Category:Squeak_Education
specifically:
http://community.ofset.org/wiki/Sons_et_Image_-_un_%C3%A9change_France-Argentine

Squeak main site: http://www.squeak.org/

If you would like more information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Squeak is a rich environment and I think many here would find it
engaging and fun. BTW, the latest Linux VM has an ALSA plugin.

--
brad fuller
  http://www.Sonaural.com/