[linux-audio-user] Still on the look out for _GOOD_ sampled drums

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Sun Jan 28 2007 - 21:27:53 EET

Hi all!
  I still have one problem: I don't have any acoustic drums I REALLY, TRULY
love. I have one hardware synth with drums, which are ok in the mix )sometimes
at least) and I have both the naturalstudio kits version 6 and version 7 as a
soundfont. But they don't really satisfy me neither. They both sound a bit odd
in the mix, they don't really fit in the room. The version6 is good and hard,
but has a very short release on the snaredrums and I disagree with the
bassdrum a bit and the version7 has good release, but sound a bit to soft.
Even with some compression and other FX-processing I can't get them to sound
really crunchy.
  So you see my being choosy and what I generally disagree with. I'm looking
for a drumkit in eitehr sf2 or .gig format, which sounds very raw (no
ambiance, no or very subtle FX-processing), not too soft in its attack, has
good velocity layering and nice basic sampled instruments. If possible it
would be nice if it had a few more cymbals (I like them :-)).
  Does anyone have experience with sampled drumkits, finding them, any good
locations to start looking... Any kit on mind, which you think is very good
for rock, jazz, a bit of metal or the like. Please give me a hint. For I found
nothing except the hardware eDrums, which are very expensive, demand, that you
can play real drums and demand a lot of real room to put them. All of that, I
don't have. :-)
  Kindest regards
        Julien

--------