Re: [linux-audio-user] OT: FUD or not? what is your opinion?

From: Brett W. McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 21 2007 - 16:42:50 EET

On 2/21/07, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Whatever, it should be based on JACK or its design principles, else
> we'll just get more or less workable replacements for artsd and esd.
>
> Today I have no good hopes for an audio-optimized general Linux desktop.
> Tomorrow I might feel better about it all, but right now I really don't
> see any organized effort to change the current situation.

I've no hope pro audio stuff will work "out of the box" on Linux...
but then again, for the typical Windows DAW, while the software may
install and run 'out of the box', you still have to do some tweaking.
optimization and reconfiguration if you want to have a decent
low-latency desktop DAW... even for Sonar Home Studio 4. But I will
say, I have had very little trouble getting audio to run on Linux,
consumer level or pro level... it does require some work and
knowledge, but so does doing *any* kind of pro-level audio work. Once
jack & ardour all the other goodies are running, I am always amazed at
how well they work together. And not only that, you know the system
pretty much inside and out at that point... how many Pro Tools users
can say that? I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say,
in reference to a shoddy sounding homestudio produced CD -- "Sheesh,
why does everyone think all you need to do is install Pro Tools and
you can make a CD?"

-- Brett
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden;
    If I were to divulge it, it would overturn the world."
               -- Jelaleddin Rumi