Re: [linux-audio-user] composing with trackers

From: Chuckk Hubbard <badmuthahubbard@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 16:44:12 EET

I've used very few trackers. I think I was turned off that the
default is for all notes to be the same length, and that changing the
number of beats in any measure seemed kind of involved.
If you've never written music, and you don't own any instruments, and
you open a program for the first time that shows you 8 divisions per
measure with a steady beat, you'll probably make a lot of music before
you discover what other options are available. Multiply this by a
million users, and you've got the makings of a long-term association
with RDM (retarded dance music). Try entering Debussy into a tracker
and see how intuitive it is; and yet the music itself is very easy to
listen to.
I bet people's music would be far more beautiful if they would sing
freely and often and then transcribe what they were singing, instead
of transcribing before the music even exists. Or maybe it's just a
case where the number of people who write good music is less than the
number of people who write bad music in general?

-Chuckk

--
http://www.badmuthahubbard.com