[linux-audio-user] What laptops do the devs have?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 01:35:06 EET

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I may need to sell my Mac Mini and buy a laptop instead, for use live, or just for being mobile and being able to make music without being chained to the computer and monitor at home.

What laptops do the developers own, so that I know hardware support is present and accounted for?

I want to avoid any laptop that requires proprietary video drivers-- like NVidia-- so that there aren't interactions between the driver and realtime mode. Also I want to avoid any laptop that isn't widely in use for linux audio already, using jackd, and ideally using freebob too.

Most of the really good, cheap new laptops seem to have Intel Core Duo's, and I'm not sure how many people beside myself are out on the bleeding edge with Duo's. Still, whatever I'm going to buy is going to be older and used, because that's all I can afford.

The list at http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Working_Setups is a great resource, but it lacks the info on the actual laptop.

Come to think of it, I'd volunteer to set up a wiki page with a list of working laptop Linux Audio setups, if someone would tell me where's a good place to put it.

Maybe something like:
        Make Model KernelVersion Distro AudioInterface AudioDriverVersion

Where "AudioInterface" is the make/model of audio interface chip or external interface, if any, and "AudioDriverVersion" would be ALSA or FreeBob or whatever.

- -ken
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFF7fqqe8HF+6xeOIcRAlKTAJ4mk88D3P6z0aLmM4h9NFFkSJH94gCdEy4O
YMWaJqrn1y/Nmu1A/hL/2HA=
=6Bt2
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Received on Wed Mar 7 04:15:06 2007

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Wed Mar 07 2007 - 04:15:06 EET